and solid fabric on the reverse.
She asked me to do something to the plain side. So I made ginormous leaves - one for each banner.I started by printing off simple leaf shapes from the Internet. I like using coloring book designs for easy applique and they are free. Then I copied the shapes onto transparencies, enlarged them with an overhead projector at church and traced them onto large pieces of paper. These were my patterns.
I decided to make the leaves as stiff as I could so they would hang well. So I traced the patterns onto Tear Away stabilizer which was the stiffest interfacing I could find. From there I stitched veins onto the fabric
and glued the edges of the fabric over the stabilizer so I could applique them to the banners. The process was pretty simple, but I did all the applique by hand, so that I could sew only onto one side of the banner and not have the stitches show on the backside. That was the time consuming part. I managed to come up with 5 different designs and fabrics and got them done in the week's time.
I made one sunflower to have something a little different.
I crosshatched a portion of the center and then dabbed on gold paint so it didn't look like a giant brown spot staring at you.