Monday, June 13, 2016

Designing Monday & Quilt Show Report

I have worked a little more on my Florida quilt.  I don't seem to enjoy machine applique as much as hand applique, so I dole out the work on a daily basis to keep it moving.  Here's the little I accomplished this week.

But I have a great excuse.  My son and his fiance came to visit for the weekend, so there was some house cleaning involved.  We got to hear more about their wedding plans and just catch up on the news.  This was also the weekend of the guild Quilt Show, so I have photos to share.  Lots of beautiful quilts.  I am so in awe of the members of our guild.  New this year is a modern quilt category.  Here are some of my favorites.

 Barb's cute Twisted Pumpkin & her first ribbon ever.  Yea!
 Sweet Applique Tulips by Susan V.
 Love these fabrics and colors.  By Jan M.
 A favorite pattern.  By Barb V. - an applique teacher
 Winter Memories by Lonnie A.
 Can you see the little snowflakes and ice skate in the border?
 Chestnut & Vine 
 Silent Night by Sheri
 Closeup of a Dresden
 4 Squares were machine embroidered with the words from Silent Night.  The filigree around the circle is exquisite.
 This Dresden is stuffed trapunto.
 Words to Live By by Cathy M. - a wedding gift for her daughter
 Lovely applique.  The words are stamped.

 My very favorite quilt in the show.  It is based off of a pen & ink drawing of downtown Green Bay in 1976, (the year I moved here).  This is a slice quilt completed by 12 people.  I really don't know how they got the slices to match up so well.  
 Some detail of the slice quilt.
 Giant Batman in flannel by Roxie
 A Flock of Feathered Stars by Angie - all pieced on a hand crank machine.  It was awarded an Honorable Mention by the judges, a ribbon for Best Machine Quilting, and a Ribbon from the chairwoman of the Show.  Pretty Special.
Some detail of the machine quilting.  This machine quilter also did the quilting of the ice skates and snowflakes on a previous quilt above.

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. Some incredible quilts! I really enjoyed Winter Memories, and Words to Live By always catches my eye--all those HSTs!
    The slice quilt is incredible!
    And Flock of Feathers is a dramatic beauty--and all pieced on a hand crank? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the sand dollar in your quilt block.

    ReplyDelete