Here is the pattern that I chose.
First we copied this large paper pattern onto freezer paper and then onto muslin. All the pattern pieces were labeled alphabetically as well as all the pieces of fabric in the kit so we couldn't mess it up. She really put a lot of effort into making it as easy as possible.
Once all the pieces are laid out on the muslin and pinned down, we zigzagged all the overlapping pieces right on top. No fusing or glue required.
Here I am auditioning the different colors of bias tape.
You push the pointed end of the bias strip under the pin and then pull the strip to the left gently manipulating it before it goes under the pin. It folds automatically.
I didn't think to take a photo before I made the tape, so this is already folded and ironed, but I tried to open it up to illustrate the point.
She taught us to set the iron flat on the tape as it comes out of the pin and Voila! you have bias tape. I thought I would not be able to do it, so I bought a bias tape maker for that size at Joann and found it was more putzy than using the pin method.
Our guild had its summer picnic/ party in June and we brought a bright summery Fat quarter to swap. I took home this piece of lime green with flip flops.
We were asked to make at least one block and bring it back later in the year. We can only add white as a background color.
I made 3 blocks. These will be combined with others to make some quilts for kids at the local hospital. A fun project!
I am linking to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.