Friday, April 6, 2018

A Winter Away



I enjoyed life in Florida this winter.  It was definitely warmer than Wisconsin.  We visited the local parks, did some sightseeing, and spent time with our friends.  This was our third winter in Florida and for the first time, I brought my sewing machine and lots of supplies and fabric!

In January, I was able to join in a Bonnie Hunter workshop that was hosted by the Racing Fingers guild of Ormond Beach.  They were very welcoming and Bonnie was a very enthusiastic teacher.  It all went so fast, I could hardly believe it was over at the end of the day.  I had dinner with a couple of guild members and returned in the evening for Bonnie's trunk show in the evening.  It was so fun to see so many of her quilts in person.  Thank you, Bonnie and the Racing Fingers Guild for such a fun day.  We worked on making Bonnie's Talking Turkey design.  I managed to complete 12 of the blocks after the class.  I plan to use them in a quilt for a returning soldier.

In February, AQS held its 3rd annual show in Daytona.  I enjoy this show so much as it improves every year and provides lots of inspiration.  Most of the quilts seem far beyond my skill range, but they are fun to see and I love to try and figure out how they were made.  I have lots of photos to share.

It's nice to be back home, but we had snow last night on top of the 8 inches that fell the day before we came home.  As my husband keeps saying, "Why do we live here?"



 A whole cloth quilt.  It appears the entire thing is done free hand embroidered or quilted with black thread.




Cherrywood Fabrics sponsored a challenge themed Vincent Van Gogh.  This quilt was done by Kim Frisk, a friend from my local guild.
 Laurie Ceesay created this little quilt also in the Cherrywood challenge.  Laurie taught at our guild a few years ago.  She specializes in faces and hair.  She is a hairdresser by day.




More photos next time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had some great experiences during your warm winter. :)
    What an interesting challenge. Always amazes me to see how creative quilters can be.

    ReplyDelete