Thursday, August 21, 2014

This & That

Seems like I have had a busy couple of weeks.  My book club met two Fridays ago in Manitowoc, WI which is about a half hour from here.


Our book this month was set in a little made up town outside Manitowoc so we went there for lunch and after went to visit the West of the Lake Garden.  This must be the best kept secret ever as I had never heard of it.  The home and grounds were owned by a couple named West.  He was a 2nd generation CEO of a shipbuilding company in Manitowoc and when they died they created a foundation leaving their home and 6 acres of gardens to exist in perpetuity free to the public.  There is a full time gardener/ caretaker who was zooming around on his lawn mower while we were there.  There are also people who work in the foundation offices which now occupy the house.  All of this is set on Lake Michigan which is a beautiful view.  And did I mention that it is FREE???  WOW!  Really lovely.

Coleus, Day Lilies and Begonias

Rose Gardens




The back of the house faces Lake Michigan


Waves of color - purple phlox and red salvia

More roses and annuals

Angel Trumpet

Succulents
Fuchsia is every color & Begonias below

My hubby and I took in the rodeo and county fair last weekend with friends.  I always look forward to this as I love rodeo and I enjoy seeing the animals and seeing the kids who take such good care of them.
Whiplash the Dog Riding Monkey ( My husband's favorite act )


Rodeo Announcer on Horseback at Sunset

The Farmer's Market has been going strong and I have been several times this summer.  We had a late start to summer and produce is just now coming in.  I am overrun with zucchini and cukes from my garden and my friends.  I made applesauce twice this week so my freezer is already getting full.  I am waiting on my bell peppers so I can make relish.  Our grapes are just starting to turn a little purple so hopefully in a couple of weeks we will have some good eating.

Hope you summer is zooming along, too and you are finding time to enjoy all the bounty it brings.











No comments:

Post a Comment