Monday, May 19, 2014

Designing Monday

I have decided to try and complete some projects that have been on my back burner for awhile.  One of them is to replace the backing on a seat pillow.   The pillow came from my mother's house and always sat in her rocker as long as I can remember.  I think she probably did the needlepoint many years ago and then had a friend make the backing and finish it off.  The pillow had black velvet or velour on the back which had worn down along the sides and the pillow was nearly flat.  It needed some oomph.
Cute worn out pillow
Worn out backing

One of the ladies at my church had massive volumes of red velvet curtains that came from the church attic.  I asked for a 36" square and she gave me an entire drape that was way bigger than I needed but I since remembered that I have 2 more seat cushions that need backs so now I am thankful.
Massive quantities of red velvet everywhere

I had not really looked at the pillow to figure out how to replace the backing and when I did I realized that it was stuffed with feathers.  When I took it apart there was a muslin inner pillow and it had a seam with a large hole so there were loose feathers and dust galore.  Quite a mess.  I reused the muslin pillow and found a feather pillow in my closet and borrowed some of the feathers from it and resewed the seams on the muslin to fix the blowout.

I drew a pattern on newspaper of the circle for the back and cut a very long strip of the new velvet plus the circle and got busy.  A short while later I had a new pillow ready for sitting.  It sits up quite nicely now and looks nice with my furniture which is near in color to the red velvet.

It's so nice when a plan comes together!

Hop on over to Judy's blog to see some beautiful quilt designs.

By the way the image on the pillow is a cat with the words "What the cat thinketh When the cat winketh Little Wots the mouse".  No clue what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment